Welcome

Hi, thanks for visiting my blog. Please feel free to post comments. Don't take anything I have written too seriously, these are all off the cuff impressions of things I have randomly read rather than carefully considered judgments. With some obvious exceptions.
Guest bloggers very welcome.



Tuesday 20 March 2012

Jasper Fforde

Today I finished the Well of Lost Plots, the third in the Thursday Next series. This is great fun - Fforde is respectful towards his far ranging sources, the central character is a strong resourceful woman and he throws ideas around with an energy that has drawn justifiable comparisons with Douglas Adams. Justifiable but we need to draw a clear line - Douglas Adams is a literary god, who if he had only left us the babelfish alone would have earned his place at the top table of writers - whereas Fforde has yet to break out of the niche he occupies. Perhaps a television series would earn him the audience he deserves - although how you would film some of his scenes escapes me. The obvious answer is a radio series - don't tell me, they have already done one? My 16 year old son has been reading this series one book behind me, and has been enjoying them, although I flatter myself he probably hasn't got all the literary references that Fforde throws in. Recommended if you are looking for something light, amusing, and clever, without taking itself too seriously.

No comments:

Post a Comment